VOLUNTEER WITH BEAM
BEAM is blessed with 350+ hard-working weekly volunteers as well as hundreds more who help with outreach events, fund raisers, food drives, and more. Join our team of amazing volunteers and help families in need at the Beaches!
Each volunteer job requires a specific set of skills and time commitment, from one-time projects to once per week responsibilities. You will receive detailed information on the current volunteer job openings when you attend an information session, and you will also fill out your volunteer application. Although we have a wide variety of volunteer opportunities the need in each of these areas fluctuates. Our Volunteer Manager will let you know which opportunities currently have a need.
Volunteers are invited to attend a volunteer information session to learn about the many opportunities to serve at BEAM and for a tour of the agency. Please call 904-241-7437 x 108 to schedule a volunteer information session.
Volunteers will be charged a $10 background check fee (check or money order is accepted). This fee will be waived for students.
We look forward to having you as part of our team!
BEAM helps make a difference in the lives of those in need in our community. We would not be able to provide these families with hope and help if it was not for our amazing volunteers. It is the volunteers who serve our community that make an impact. Join our cause and connect with others in our community who are working to make a difference.
“I was the first one of us to volunteer at BEAM. My neighbor volunteered in the front office one morning a week and suggested I come visit and see for myself. She asked me to fill in for her while she was away and I’ve been here ever since. I decided I wanted to also try volunteering in the food pantry and they needed someone on Monday afternoons. This was during the time that the pantry was included in the building with the offices and it was often barely controlled chaos – but also fun! Austin decided to join us on Monday afternoons and we both continue to love doing it. We have both also volunteered at the Back to School event each August for the past several years. We have done the backpacks with Karen Wolfson. We have seen so many changes – opening the new pantry, Grace Garden, computerized client records to mention only a few. All initiated by Susan King’s leadership. BEAM continues to be a very special part of our lives.”
THESE OPPORTUNIES REQUIRE A VOLUNTEER INFORMATION SESSION BEFORE SERVICE BEGIN:
- Financial Interviewer: meet with clients one on one to discuss need for financial assistance, verify information as needed; requires basic computer skills.
- Food Stamp/Medical Interviewer: meet with clients to complete Food Stamp/Medicaid application on line; requires basic computer skills.
- Receptionist in Front Office (Jax Beach): greet and assist clients, answer phones, schedule food appointments, answer general questions about assistance at BEAM; requires basic computer skills.
- Receptionist in Food Pantry (Mayport): greet and assist clients and answer general questions about assistance at BEAM.
- Food Pantry (Jax Beach and Mayport): assist client in food choices; stock shelves as needed with food and personal care items
- Garden: planting, harvesting, weeding and general upkeep of the BEAM garden.
- Casual Gardeners: volunteers who would like to visit the garden on their own to weed, prune or to dream.
- Thrift Store (7north, Jax Beach and Mayport): volunteers will assist with customer service, re-stocking of items, cashiering
- Drivers/Runner: truck, SUV or Van preferred; food pickup and help with moving items to other locations as needed.
THESE OPPORTUNITIES DO NOT REQUIRE A VOLUNTEER INFORMATION SESSION BEFORE SERVICE:
- Group Volunteers: Group volunteer opportunities (about 5-10 people) are typically available for food pantry and garden shifts.
- Students Needing Community Service Hours: High school and college students.
- Special Projects
Including but not limited to:
- Back to School with BEAM (August) —our largest and most comprehensive outreach effort
- Holiday food baskets for families at Thanksgiving (November)
- Other holiday events (November-December)
- Organizational help for fund raisers (including Beach Ball event)
TO JOIN THE BEAM TEAM
To join the BEAM TEAM, click the volunteer application link, complete the online form and submit. If you wish you can print the PDF format of the form, complete, and mail or deliver to BEAM at 850 Sixth Avenue South, Suite 400, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250.
Once your application is received, a team member will contact you by email to give you more information on positions, days, and hours available. This process may take up to two weeks.
We look forward to having you as part of the BEAM Team!